11.03.2010

30 DBC:24, Creamy Chicken and Mushroom One Pot

I found a great recipe! I think it's a new staple which means I can add that to my 101 List! One goal down, 100 to go! One of my goals is to not eat candy during the weeks of Halloween and Valentine's Day.....I forgot. I have to read that list every once in awhile to remember what's on it! SO, I'll start with Valentine's Day. Oh candy hearts I love you so, but I won't be having you for awhile.

OK, here's the new recipe. Easy. One pot. Yummy.
Creamy Chicken and Mushroom One Pot by Rachael Ray

  • 3 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breast
  • 3 onions
  • 2 fresh bay leaves
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced or quartered
  • 4 baby potatoes, diced
  • 2 parsnips, peeled and diced 1/2-inch thick
  • 2 small ribs celery, chopped
  • A few sprigs fresh sage leaves, very thinly sliced
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • Splash white wine
  • 2 cups chicken stock
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 rounded tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1 sheet frozen puff pastry dough, defrosted
  • 1 egg


Process:

Place the chicken breasts in a pot with 1 quartered onion and 1 bay leaf. Fill the pan with just enough water to come to the top of the chicken breasts. Bring the mixture to a low boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and poach the chicken 12 to 15 minutes. Remove the chicken and dice or shred with forks. Reserve the poaching liquid.
(I forgot the bay leaves - they would really help with flavor.)
This picture doesn't need to be any bigger. :) Looks kinda gross.


In the same pan, heat 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, a couple of turns of the pan over medium-high heat, add the mushrooms and lightly brown. When the mushrooms are just tender, add 2 chopped medium onions, potatoes, parsnips, celery, sage, salt, pepper and remaining bay leaf. Cover the pot and sweat the vegetables 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the bay leaf. 
(If you don't have bay leaves, I read you can use thyme. 
That's what I have sprinkled all over the veggies below.
I also cooked these for more like 25 minutes than 10 so the potatoes had time to cook. ) 

 Melt the butter in the pot.

Add the flour and stir to make a light roux.

Deglaze the pan with a splash of white wine and add one to 2 cups of reserved poaching liquid. 
Whisk in the mustard and 2 cups chicken stock. Thicken to a light gravy consistency. 
Adjust the salt and pepper and add in the chicken.

Reduce the heat to low and bake off the pastry tops.

For make-ahead meal: Bake off the pastry tops; cool the filling and store. 
Reheat the filling, covered, over medium heat to a bubble, and then reduce the heat to a simmer.

To prepare the pastry tops: Cut the pastry into shapes which reflect the shape and size of the dishes or bowls you wish to serve the soup in. Beat the egg with a splash of water and arrange the cut pastry on a nonstick baking sheet or on parchment-lined sheet pan. Brush the dough with the egg wash and bake to golden at 425 degrees F, 12 minutes.
(I just made crescent rolls. Basically the same thing...just a different shape.) YUM-O

And it's all done in one pot! Only one thing to clean!

I  hope you all give it a try. It's such a great recipe because you can really do whatever you'd like. I didn't have mushrooms. No biggie. You could take the potatoes out. You can add tons of chicken. You can add different veggies. It's great!
Let me know if you try it!

OK, onto Katie's Blog Challenge!
Something I've Learned.

I've learned so many things. Now, that's not to say that I practice everything I've learned...case in point...worrying. 
• I've learned that it's never good to worry. How many verses are there? 
Worrying doesn't add any time to your life (Matt. 6:27). 
Trials make you stronger (James 1:2). 
Each day has enough trouble of it's own (Matt. 6:34). 
An anxious heart weighs a man down (Proverbs 12:25).
Should I go on?

• I love the idea of a God Box. You write your worry on a sheet of paper, put it in the box and let God deal with it. Great idea. 

• I've learned it's really important to stay up to speed with politics because an election will come and you'll be clueless. I think it's extremely important and I was so good at following two years ago, but then I got burnt out. I felt like there was SO much information I would never know and once you think you understand where someone stands, there's an if, and or but, so how do you ever really know!? BUT, what I learned this week is that it's better to have some idea than none.

• I've learned that blogging is an amazing and crazy thing! Crazy!

• I've learned how important it is to learn others' love languages. Whether I act on that is another issue, but I know it's important.

• I've learned that you find out your true friends as you get older. (That sounds like something bad happened. It didn't. I just think, when you start knowing yourself more, you grow closer to different friends.)

• I've learned you grow closer to your parents when you grow up.

• I've learned God is bigger than I've ever known and I know that will only get more clear as life goes on.

• I've learned how important it is to give mail. Send a card. With a stamp. It's personal. It's thoughtful. And it's just fun to get mail!

• I've learned it's important to exercise. Again, something I know, but haven't conquered yet.

• I've learned you should watch what you eat. Not in a crazy way, but just pay attention. Maybe that entire plate of nachos isn't a good idea. All in moderation.

This list could go on, so I'll spare you and end now. Can't wait to read yours!

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Amen to the true friends comment. Ain't that the truth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have learned so much! I so agree with the true friends comment, it amazes me at how much my friends have changed since high school. God for sure is way bigger than we could ever imagine, but that is just part of the wonderful mystery of Him!

    ReplyDelete