11.29.2010

Buterfly Artwork

I got this idea from HERE and decided to make it for Preslie!
I wish I would have taken more pictures of the process of making this, but I think I can explain it. Let's start with the frame. I bought it at Hobby Lobby. It was kind of like a shadowbox : It had 2 pieces of glass that were separated by a wood lining. Here's a different frame - but the same concept...

I put the first piece of glass down in the frame to be the cover/protector/normal piece of glass that is in a frame, then the wood piece went down - it was a big rectangle that fit into the edges of the frame. 

Then my next piece of glass which I glued the artwork to went down on top of the wood. 
This allowed the artwork to have dimension like a shadowbox would. 


Then the back piece went in behind that.

Does that make sense? Probably not.
Sorry!!

What you need: 
• A puncher of anything you'd like
I used a butterfly here. You can get a ducky punch, star punch, gosh, I think the sky is the limit with these things. 

• Background paper and puncher paper
Decide what you want your background to look like. I actually had a beige colored background and used this green, too. You'll need to choose the paper you would like to use for the cutouts. 

• Glue Dots

Here's how this went down. My frame came decorated already. I ripped everything off of it so all I was left with was the backing of the frame. I then covered that with beige paper. Next, I cut out the green paper the size I wanted it to be. When this is all put together, the green paper is small enough that you can see some of the beige on all sides of it. At this point, put the frame together so you can see how everything lines up. This is a lesson I learned the hard way. I actually did the whole thing then had to go back and re-do this part.

The fun part is next. Punch out your shapes! I think it's fun to use all kinds of paper designs, but you can definitely do whatever you'd like here. Once you get them punched out, line them up on your paper. I eyeballed it because I hate measuring.

 

When you have them where you want them, glue them down! I bought glue dots for this. They fit nicely behind the middle of the butterfly so I was able to lift the wings up.

I made a separate piece for her name and birthday. See the edges of the glass? 
All of that space will have the beige paper behind it.

Now it just needs to be put in! Here's how this works. The first piece of glass goes in first. Then the cardboard piece, then this piece of glass, then the backing with the beige paper.

And I am dumb and didn't take a final picture of it. WHAT?! 
But, here's a picture of Jess looking at it. I think you'll get the idea.

Happy Crafting! 
I'm linking up to the parties on the left hand side of my blog in the Weekly Parties button.
Pin It

5 comments:

  1. This is so cute! I love butterflies and the way you've folded the wings up to create texture

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute cute idea...thanks so much for sharing it!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    I’m hosting a CHRISTMAS OPEN HOUSE on 12/9…would love to have you join in on the FUN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a sweet idea! glue dots are def the way to go to get those butterflies with their wings up like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! Butterflies are my favorite! Hope you share with my Pink Hippo Party @ http://pinkapotamus.blogspot.com/2010/11/pink-hippo-party-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great project idea for a "no butterflies were hurt in this" creation.

    ReplyDelete