11.15.2010

God Box Tutorial

First thing's first: HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD AND GRANDMA! I hope you both have a wonderful day! Wish I could be there to celebrate with you!

I can cross another thing off of my 101 in 1001 list! A couple of weeks ago, I decided to make my mom a God Box. I got the idea here.  Basically, this is a box that you can throw your worries in and then forget about them. Think of the box as God. Write your worry on a piece of paper and put it in the box. You just gave your worry to God and are letting Him figure it out now. So, the point is, to stop worrying :)


I bought one of those brown boxes at Hobby Lobby. They have squares and hearts and a lot of options, but I went with the cylinder because it was the size I was looking for. You'll also need glue, exacto knife, several kinds of paper and circle punchers (in 2 sizes).


The first thing I started to do is wrap the box. I didn't know exactly what this was going to look like in the end...I just started at it. I wrapped the entire sheet of paper on...


...then cut as I went. I knew if I would have cut a piece to fit, it would not have fit!

I ended up layering on pieces of paper and then moved onto the flowers. 

To make the flowers, all you do is cut a long strip of paper and two circle punches. Start with one about 1 1/2 in. thick. Then, you simply make it into an accordion.


Once you're finished, glue the ends together to make an accordion circle. 
Wait a few minutes for it to dry.

Cut out two circles with your puncher. 
Make sure the paper you choose is one you want to see on your flower. 
Standby by for these...

The next part is tricky. Fold the thing in. 
ou'll think it's about to rip - and it might - but keep trying. 
Eventually it will pop together and look like this!

Right when you get it together, glue one of the circle punches to it and 
then flip it over and glue the other side. This will hold it together. 
You are now free to decorate the flower as you like!


I found some of my jute from making my coffee table and 
decided to use that all over my box. 
 


I made the inside of the  middle of my flower out of that stuff. 
 

Let me tell you, it was hard to figure out how to hold it together long enough to let it dry. 
This was my life saver...



Onto the lid:
First, I cut out the slit. 
All I did was cut out a piece of paper the size I wanted the slit, then cut around it. 
Do this slowly
You'll make several cuts along the same line. 
Just keep cutting until you cut through. It doesn't take too long.

Next, I placed the lid flat down on a piece of paper. 
I then went around the entire thing and cut slits. 
These would be glued down to the sides of the lid along with the top of it. 
See pictures for full explanation.



Once you have them all glued down, start glueing again! 
Next, glue the sides of the lid. I just glued the entire sheet, then cut it as I went. 
Same with the body of the box, I knew that if I were to try cutting a strip to fit the lid, it would have come up uneven.

To incorporate more jute in the box, 
I lined some of the edges of paper with it and lined the edge of the box.


Sorry for the terrible pictures throughout this entire post, but this is the final piece. 


Now, go make a God Box!
See the parties I'm linking up to at the bottom of the page.
Pin It

7 comments:

  1. That is AWESOME>>> I am going to have to make one for myself and each of my kids! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love it!! i just read that story on CNN. it's a great idea!! nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the colors you used and the jute trim. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great project. Linked over from Sugar Bee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday to your Dad and Grandma! Those flowers are adorable. I think I will have to make some to put on Chrismtas gifts this year! Thanks for sharing. Great Blog!!

    ReplyDelete