1.12.2011

Tucson TV ... WOW

Who else watched the Tucson memorial special with their jaws on the ground? I guess it is a memorial, but it's not everyday you see people from our government reading from the Bible.

Janet Napolitano, the Secretary of Homeland Security read from Isaiah {SIDE NOTE: Did anyone else notice it's our verse of the week?!?!! WOohoo! GO Isaiah, Go Janet, Go God!}
{ANOTHER SIDE NOTE: I don't know about Janet Napolitano - I try to keep up with politics and have an opinion, but I can't. It's impossible to me. I don't get how people can follow everything without getting a job with a news station and making it a full-time thing. So, I don't know if I agree with her politics or not, but I do know that I liked what she read.}

Do you not know? Have you not heard?
The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom.
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.
Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, 
they will walk and not be faint.  
She read the ENTIRE chapter, but I just put part. You can read the whole thing if you go back a couple posts to VOTW 2.

So, I was thinking, wow, that was REALLY awesome! That's rare in politics. Then, Attorney General, Eric Holder walks up and starts reading from 2 Corinthians!
It is written: “I believed; therefore I have spoken.” Since we have that same spirit of faith, we also believe and therefore speak, because we know that the one who raised the Lord Jesus from the dead will also raise us with Jesus and present us with you to himself. All this is for your benefit, so that the grace that is reaching more and more people may cause thanksgiving to overflow to the glory of God.
Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

Then, Obama comes up and reads from Psalm 46!
There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, 
the holy place where the Most High dwells.
God is within her, she will not fall; God will help her at break of day. 

I also loved what he said about Christina, the little 9 year old that was killed:
"Christina was given to us on September 11th, 2001, one of 50 babies born that day to be pictured in a book called “Faces of Hope.” On either side of her photo in that book were simple wishes for a child’s life. “I hope you help those in need,” read one. “I hope you know all of the words to the National Anthem and sing it with your hand over your heart. I hope you jump in rain puddles.”

And, also, when he said: "Gabby opened her eyes."
Awesome.

This whole thing has just been awful to hear about and even more so when you realize it's real. Sometimes these things feel like a bad dream. I'm so glad that during a time like this, God can be talked about. 

Was anyone else surprised or am I alone in this?! Again, I know it's a memorial service, but I was still surprised. :)
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lindsay - I wasn't surprised because these are people of faith. Yes, we very seldom hear such passages from government officials -- but this memorial service was one of those times in which they were more than appropriately used - to inspire and heal from this tragedy. The ceremony in its entirety was so uplifting and unifying -- from the music (Copland's beautiful 'Fanfare for the Common Man'), to the Native American blessing, to the Scripture readings, to the heartfelt and touching speeches. It was a truly wonderful memorial. Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another missed TV opportunity! :(
    That is so AWESOME! Thanks for posting about this! I am so happy our VOTW 2 was used, AWESOME.. GOD IS SO SO GREAT <3!

    ReplyDelete