2.09.2011

BBS Chapter 1 Discussion

Sneaky Momma Blog Design

Where did the story take place?
Martha's home.  
 
And what was going on?
Jesus was at Martha's home speaking to everyone.
  
Who were the people present?
Jesus, Martha, Mary and the disciples. 
 
How did Martha act...and why?
Martha was busy busy preparing a meal and getting ready for her guests. She was very caught up in doing so and go upset with Mary.
 
And how did Mary act?
Mary sat quietly and contently listening to Jesus speak.
 
What were Jesus' words to Martha?
He told her that she was too worried about too many things! (Wow. That hit home:))
 
And His words to Mary? 
He said that Mary chose what was better.
 
List 5 actions I can take to put worship at the top of my to-do list:
1. Sit down and talk/pray to God everyday. 
2. Read the Word.
3. Talk to others about Him.
4. Stop doing the things that distract me from the Lord.
5. Remember Him in everyday things. While at work, while at home...etc. Think about Him always and always pray.
 
Write out what I will do daily-just for this week-to... cease my busyness, stop all activity, set aside secondary things....
Stop watching so darn much TV. I mean, who really watches this much tv? It's crazy. 
Not spend so much time blogging. I think it's fine to blog, but it doesn't have to be perfect. 
Not talk on the phone so much. Oh gosh. I think I just got sad. :( Who said this would be easy?!
Not sleep in! It can't be THAT hard to get up 30 minutes early every morning, can it? Yes. But it's doable and I think it would change EVERYTHING.
I love the idea of cooking a bunch of meals in one day. Thanks Rachael Ray. :) I think if I can do that, it will save me so much time during the week. Those are hours I could be spending with the Lord.
 
Look up the word "priority" and write it out simply here: Taking precedence over something.

Look up the word "worship" and write out the definition simply here: Honor and homage to God.

Can I think of an area where I'm consciously settling for good when I know that a better and a best choice are available?  When I read the Word or do Bible Study. I KNOW I can put more into it every time. I know when I've done good because I'll feel it. And vice versa. I usually leave a quiet time thinking that I didn't put enough into it.

A Heartfelt Prayer-Lord, just for today, help me to cultivate a hot heart by...longing to be in prayer with You and get into your Word. I pray that this study ignites what I've had before and that I WANT to wake up early because I just can't wait to see what you have to show me.

In 100 words or less, write out one instance when I was aware that I actively chose God as a priority over something or someone this week. 
Oh no, I don't really know that I have. I've been doing the study throughout the week, so I don't really think I can say one time. I guess right now the tv is off, but I'm not going to kid myself. It's because I'm wanting to finish this post. I really want that to be my goal for every week of this study. To make it a habit to stop doing something else and sit down with God.

What are some of the things that keep me from having a daily quiet time?  TV. yuck. How gross is that?

What do I think are the key ingredients to a quality quiet time? Being present. There are so many times I've sat down to do a quiet time and end up having to read a sentence over and over again because my mind is somewhere else. I think as long as you're there to truly be with God, everything else will fall into place.

This is a great book! I loved reading through the story of Mary and Martha and getting something out of it that I never would have just by reading it on my own. I have a hard time relating stories to my own life unless I'm given examples and this book helped me do that. Martha was too worried about small things that she didn't focus on the fact that Jesus was right there! Whether he's literally in the room talking to us like he was with them or not, there are so many things I worry about before I go to him to just listen. Can't wait for chapter 2!        

Go to BlessedMama or Life With the Edwards to link up!
Pin It

5 comments:

  1. HI! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am obsessed with this camera. I wanted a professional camera, but not one that was going to be so hard to figure out. I was between the canon one and nikon one and my dad decided that canon was better quality! Either way you can't go wrong and the quality is amazing. I have can't stop taking pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love what you said about being present in a quiet time. I am SO convicted of that. I'll have to re-read things several times. I know I have to pray hard to focus on what He wants me to so I can learn. Thank you for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being present.

    That is key and something I am not so good at.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Post! I think a lot of us can relate to being "present" during our quiet time. I agree also what was is 30 less minutes of sleep to have with God. Easy right ? :) I am going to get up 30 minutes early tomorrow.. Thanks so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with the being present thing too. That's why I think it's so important not to be too perscriptive with how you do a quiet time. It doesn't have to be the same every day - I guess we'll talk about this more next chapter.

    Thanks for sharing. I've really enjoyed reading :)

    ReplyDelete