2.24.2011

BBS - Chapter 3 Discussion

Sneaky Momma Blog Design

What meant the most to you from this chapter or offered you the greatest challenge or inspired you deeply? All of the ways she talked about how prayer has blessed her life.

Read Mark 1:35 for a glimpse of Jesus at prayer. What can you learn about His prayer life? 
Jesus prayed before he began everyday.

Now describe in a few words what preceded this quiet moment in verses 21-34.... 
He cast out demons...healed people.

Is your head spinning? Mine is! But Jesus shows us how to handle the "head-spinning" events of busy, hectic, challenging days. How can you follow His example today? PRAY!

Blessing #1: A Deeper Relationship with God -- As you consider that prayer increases faith, provides a place to unload burdens, teaches us that God is always near, trains us not to panic, and changes lives, which one of these benefits would be the greatest reason for developing a heart committed to prayer at this stage of your life? Why? We can unload our burdens. I would love to be able to give everything to God and then forget about it and let Him handle it. It's what He wants!


Blessing #2: Greater Purity -- I shared with you my problem with gossip in this area of purity. Now won't you identify your particular problem area and share briefly what you plan to do about it? Gossip is definitely one of mine, too. Add judging to that list. I have to consciously remind myself not to judge. :( I think as long as I keep up with my quiet times and keep my focus on God, those things will stop because I'll be thinking of Him first.


Blessing #3: Confidence in Making Decisions -- Look again at the picture of Jesus at prayer in Mark 1:35. What was the result of His time in prayer in the area of decision making (verses 36-39)? What difference did prayer make in the direction for His new day? And what difference might prayer make in the direction for your new days? I'll know that God is front and center making decisions and all I need to do is follow Him.


Blessing #4: Improved Relationships -- What relationship do you need to improve through prayer, and how can you begin immediately to commit to prayer about that relationship? Marriage! Really, Lindsay, you're not praying for your marriage!? I've begun. Specifically about being loving and not getting so defensive about things.

Blessing #5: Contentment -- Identify an area in your life where you struggle with finding contentment. Now look at Philippians 4:10-13. What can you learn about contentment from these words from the apostle Paul? How can you apply Paul's lessons to your own situation? All we need is God to be content. I can do all things through GOD. So when I worry about this or that, I need to remember Paul's words of contentment and know that I can have that, too.


Blessing #6:: God-Confidence -- How do these scriptures increase your trust in God?


Psalm 34:9 -- That is a strong verse. For those who fear him lack nothing. THAT is something to remember when we feel like we are lacking something!


Psalm 84:11 -- God is GREAT. On every level. The One who made the sun and the moon is the same One who wants to bless us.


Blessing #7: The Ministry of Prayer -- Edith Schaeffer stated, "Interceding for other people makes a difference in the history of other people's lives". Who are the people you can minister to through prayer, and when do you plan to begin this "ministry"? My husband. My family. My friends. Strangers. I begin this TODAY.

Read again the suggestions made in the "Yes, But How?" section for cultivating a heart committed to prayer. After writing down which ones you will put into practice today, read my own story. I need to make more time for the Lord to pray and read. I feel like it's so easy to put that last, so the mornings are perfect for me. WAKE UP. But during that time, I can forget to pray and only read. I need to remember to give a great chunk of that time to prayer and also throughout the day.

Verses to memorize --  
Psalm 46:1 - God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble;  

Psalm 121:1-2 - I will lift up my eyes to the hills - From whence comes my help? My help comes from the Lord, Who made heave and earth! ; 

Mark 1:35 - Now in the morning, having risen a long while before daylight, He went out and departed to a solitary place; and there He prayed.
 
A Heartfelt Prayer --  Relate in 100 words or less one instance when you were aware that you actively chose time in prayer as a priority over something or someone else this week....
Not sleeping in! That sounds so simple, but to me it's hard. That snooze button is my friend, but I've gotten my mind in the mode and I want to get up. I pray that continues :) Also in the middle of my day, I'm definitely thinking of the Lord more, therefore praying to Him more. It's amazing what happens when you get into the Word.

 
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Great Post! I am totally with you on Blessing #4, I get very defensive too :(
    Hope you are feeling well. Thanks so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to start praying for my marriage as well. It's funny because it's one of those things that seems so obvious yet it is so easy not to do. And I KNOW that if I would pray for my marriage things would better. So why don't I do it more often? Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so challenged to increase the quality of my prayer life. I know that my prayers can be kind of generic and I don't want that at all. Praying for my marriage has helped so much!

    ReplyDelete