3.10.2011

BBS - Chapter 5 Discussion

Sneaky Momma Blog Design
 
What meant the most to you from this chapter or offered you the greatest challenge or inspired you deeply?
I loved the part in the beginning where she brought it all back to Genesis: "It is not good that man should be alone. I will make him a helper comparable to him." So often, I'll read verses but not meditate on them and this is definitely one. I guess I always thought about the man in that verse, but it speaks volumes to women. We are here to be helpers, not slaves, but helpers in God's point of view.

Now review these words from page 69 of your book:
A helper is one show shares man's responsibilities, responds to his nature with understanding and love, and wholeheartedly cooperates with him in working out the plan of God.
Write out Matthew 20:28....
For even the son of man came not to be served, but to serve others and give his life as a ransom for many.

What is the one word that best describes the heart of this verse?
Love/Serve

And how does Jesus say this can be accomplished in verses 26 and 27?
Whoever wants to be first among you must first become your slave.

1.) Make a commitment to help your husband -- I will pray more for him and be there for him in ways that benefit him - not ways that are easy for me. I will encourage him in his goals and be a loving wife.
2.) Focus on your husband -- 
I feel like I do both. If it's something easy I can do for him, I'll do it - so wait, this is a Me First thing, because I figure out if I have time and then decide :) That needs to end. I plan to pray. That's my biggie. I also plan to take a look at our lives and look for areas where I can be of better service to him.
 
3.) Ask of your actions, Will this help or hinder my husband? 
Oh I can definitely be a hinderer. That is really one thing I want to focus on, "will this help or hinder?"

*Eve (Genesis 3:1-6,17) -- Did Eve help or hinder her husband? Why...and How?
Hinder. In a way she deceived him even if she thought she was doing the right thing. Satan is awful and unless we're on the lookout for him, he can come in and ruin us.
Can you pinpoint any situation in your marriage where your actions or attitudes may be hindering your husband? 
Where should I begin? Attitude. I really need to work on this! Attitude from being negative, being defensive, being a 5 year old...etc. I think this goes directly to the Me First thing. 
 
In light of the fact that you are on assignment from God to help your husband, what do you plan to do about this action or attitude? 

Pray! Pray! and Pray some more! But then remember my prayers and my answers from God in everyday life. It's easier not to get in an argument with God on the mind, but I so often forget about Him once I leave my quiet time.

**Checklist**
Do you see yourself as a team player, free of any competitive actions, thoughts or desires?

Sometimes, but no.

*Is your husband your primary career?
I would have to say no. Like I've said, I can forget to pray about us and I feel like that is a biggie.
A Heartfelt Prayer -- Lord I pray that I can become a better helper to my husband and that I get out of the Me First trap. Life would be better for everyone if everyone had a NOT Me First attitude. I can't wait to see what you do in our lives when I get rid of that.

Have I said how much I love this book? :)
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I love it. I am glad I am not the only one with the stupid attitudes...It's horrible.... I love this book too!
    Thanks so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you're loving the book! I know I don't always put him first but I'm working on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forget to pray for my husband too. It seems like such a simple thing but it can often be forgotten in the busyness of life. Thanks for highlighting it.

    ReplyDelete