3.16.2011

BBS - Chapter 6 Discussion

What meant the most to you from this chapter or offered you the greatest challenge or inspired you deeply?  The most inspiring thing to me was reading the story of the women who decided to submit to their husbands and how they came back and said that was a gift they were able to give them. To think of it that way puts an entirely different spin on it for me.

Write out what these verses say about our submission:

Ephesians 5:22-24- Wives submit to your husbands as you do to the Lord. He is the head of the wife... submit as the church does to Christ.

Colossians 3:18- Wives submit to your husbands as God would expect.

Titus 2:5- Submit as well as being self controlled and kind.

1 Peter 3:1- Submit to win over a husband who may not believe - by your actions!

Choose a positive word of response- 
Yes!  Gosh, this won't be easy, but I want it! I haven't had a chance really to put this into action. But, I am going to do it. I can't wait to see what it brings. The power of one word.

Ask of each word, act, and attitude, "Am I bending or bucking?"  
Gosh, I can't even think of a specific time, but what I do know is that I buck a lot. Which usually ends up in tears and me having to sadly ask for forgiveness because I've been stubborn or selfish or so many other things! I cry when I get defensive. I don't handle any kind of criticism well. I've always been that way. Yucko.

Write out simple definitions for these words:

respect- in reference to, in regard to, concerning

notice- to pay attention

regard- to look upon in a particular way, respect, concern

honor- to hold in high respect

prefer- to like better

venerate- to revere (hold in deep respect)

esteem- to regard (look upon) with respect

defer- to postpone

praise- to worship, express approval of

love- to have love for

admire- to regard (look upon) with pleasure or approval, to respect

exceedingly- extremely

1. Make a commitment to revere and respect your husband- 
Matt is amazing! He deserves to be treated how I would treat Christ. Everyday.

2. Treat your husband as you would Christ Himself.  How will you do this today?  
By respecting him. That's so broad. By not judging him, by letting go of any bitterness, by listening, by thinking of him...

3. Ask of your attitude, "Am I demonstrating respect for my husband?" 
By following him, cleaning, doing this that he appreciates, being NICE. 

Wow. This chapter really spoke to me, especially the part about treating your husband how you would treat Christ. When I read that I was mortified. What an eye opener. 
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Reading that same part about how it's a gift hit home to me! And treating your husband like you would treat Christ? Wow, totally need to work on that. It really made me realize that I need to change some things in my marriage, but I love that though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am completely with you on the "bucking" part... This book is amazing and opening up my eyes to so much in marriage that truly needs to be worked on :) THanks for linking up:)

    ReplyDelete