4.27.2011

Pregnancy Highlights : Week 24

Due Date: 
August 17, 2011

Size of baby: 
Your baby's growing steadily, having gained about 4 ounces since last week. That puts him at just over a pound. Since he's almost a foot long (picture an ear of corn), he cuts a pretty lean figure at this point, but his body is filling out proportionally and he'll soon start to plump up. His brain is also growing quickly now, and his taste buds are continuing to develop. His lungs are developing "branches" of the respiratory "tree" as well as cells that produce surfactant, a substance that will help his air sacs inflate once he hits the outside world. His skin is still thin and translucent, but that will start to change soon.

Maternity Clothes: 
Same! Belly band with regular pants and occasionally, maternity pants. I'm actually not feeling any bigger this week.

Gender:
It's confirmed - A GIRL!!

Cravings:  
Strawberry Fruit Bars. Mmmm.
  
Symptoms: 
Back pain, gas, fatigue. Maybe I should try going to bed earlier. :) Nah... I'll just blame it on the pregnancy!

Nursery:
Ok, ready for a rant? Well, not a rant, but thoughts/questions.
While I was in Lincoln, there was this huge front/full page story about crib safety and basically it said, nothing should be in the crib except for the mattress and the baby. That means no bumper. What do you ladies think of this? If you've recently had a baby, did you use a bumper? 
While I was there, we laughed it off saying they're going too far. Freak things happen. Should we stop driving with our babies in the car?! 
Well, the other day, my mom called to say that USA Today had a huge front page story about crib safety. Guess what it said? No bumpers. Well, it actually said there are pros and cons to them. One, it prevents the baby from sticking their arms and legs out of the crib, it protects them from bashing their face on the crib, and they're pretty :) My mom also knows someone who didn't use a bumper and ended up putting one in when her baby was 9 months because his face hit the side and bruised! BUT, there are many people who say babies can get their faces stuck between the mattress and the bumper causing suffocation. I mean, obviously I won't use one if there's a chance it would harm my baby, but where do you draw the line on things? Is this making sense? I'd love to hear all your thoughts!

Thoughts:
My 24 week appointment is Thursday! I'm taking the glucose test. Is that what it's even called? (I'll let you know) and she's going to start measuring me. She said it would be a boring appointment, so we'll see :)

Best Moment(s) this week:
Just a little bit ago, I felt big kicks, so I looked at my stomach and I SAW the kick!!! That was so neat! And super weird. :) Now Matt needs to see!

Where's the food, you ask? I think the food is done. I was looking at the options coming up and it's just not easy finding everything! The past few weeks have been really off. From a water bottle to a papaya to a hairspray can to - this week - a corn cob, the size of this baby is all over the place! How about just a bump shot from now on?! :)

Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Lindsay,
    You look fabulous !!! I'm so excited for you and your hubby :) I'll just tell you, I used a bumper in the crib with each of my 5 kids and I didn't see any harm in it. I know there's lots and lots of studies out there to prove otherwise. Pray about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look fantastic! Not having my own children yet I can only say what I've seen parents that I babysit for do. They use the bumpers until the baby gets mobile enough to flip positions and then they switched to the breathable bumpers. Sorry, not much help! You'll make the right choice for you. You're right though, some things you just have to decide for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so exciting that you SAW her move!!! We have bumpers in Avery's crib. I think they are fine, hers are not very fluffy. I've seen some that look like pillows because there is so much fluff in them. Those scare me. Do what feels right for you. Good luck with your glucose test, it really isn't that bad but you'll be glad when it's over!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Seriously you look great! I can't believe you are already 24 weeks. I have used a bumper with both my kids, like everyone said its what you feel is right, your motherly instincts will kick in and definately pray about it:)
    Isn't it weird to actually see her kick! Matt will love it! Take care :)

    ReplyDelete